Thursday, July 29, 2010

Simply Stated...GREATNESS



I knew there was a reason why I did not write this blog last night, and that reason was made quite clear to me this afternoon.

A Moment in Time (Thursday July 29th at 4:45pm)

All six babies had just been bathed, and I sat in a white plastic chair next to a black iron bench. Fitson was sitting on my lap with his classic grin, Jean was being rocked back and forth by Marilyn, and Dieula was braiding Denise's hair as she lay on another's lap. The sun was beginning to set, and the three women began singing to the Lord in Creole with their beautiful, quiet, and humble voices. The children as well as I were quickly calmed, and everything was so quiet and peaceful. There was so much other stuff going on around me, but for that one moment my world seemed to be at a stand still and it was incredible! I feel so blessed to have been given this gift from above today. This is a moment in time that will remain with me forever.



I do not write this blog tonight about cute children, a miracle I witnessed, or a special occasion. I instead wish to write about some amazing women that I admire each and every day that I am here in Haiti. These women are the individuals I spend many hours with every day. They have fabulous hearts and their work ethic is unimaginable. These women take pride in taking care of the children, and they work with a spirit of excellence that I did not even know existed.



To have a job in Haiti is quite a privilege and they are often much appreciated. To receive a job at Danita's Children is often seen as a bigger blessing, and the Haitian staff is delighted to be a part of the ministry. I have quickly realized that it is in fact a double blessing! The children as well as I receive so much from having these special people in our lives. I have learned so much from the wonderful women that watch the babies and special needs children. They are the most gentle, kind, and spirit-filled ladies I've ever met. They are tender-hearted and patient and I love their sense of humor too!



There are new moments and memories created every day, and I have become a better person just by being in the presence of these women. I am encouraged daily by them, and I want to extend that encouragement to my friends and family who are following my journey. Please do not forget to appreciate those around you on a daily basis. Look at them and see their gifts. They have much to offer to you, and they are put in your life for a reason. But above all else...what do you have to offer them?



"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment