Thursday, August 9, 2012

"From the Inside Out" Blog Series

Part One: “The Next Leg of the Race”



On March 27th at 3am, the journey began. The day had come to move from Danita’s Children (Northeast, Haiti) to the Miriam Center at NWHCM (Northwest, Haiti.) Pastor Daniel drove, Papito and Christ-tcherry sat up front, Emily and I sat in the back, Peterson sat on Emily’s lap, Carlos sat in the middle, and after 45 minutes, Sandley’s mom placed her baby boy in my arms for safe keeping. No tears were shed…it was simply an act of obedience on all our parts (this is a blog to come in itself.) We made record time…about 6 hours!



I got out of the truck, and immediately filled up with tears. What was I getting into? I felt uncomfortable. Had I really done what was asked of me? Was this best for everyone, but more importantly, would it bring Glory to God? I had to take a minute with Emily as I was already feeling defeated. We exchanged a few words (mainly her encouraging me,) hugged, and said goodbye to one another.

  (Photo Credit:  Jen Wride)

The next hour is a bit of a blur, but I do remember seeing all the children, workers, missionaries, etc. The wonderful staff at the Miriam Center immediately took the children from me. They were excited to have them, but they also knew it added to their workload at the same time…four more children bringing the total up to 48! Carlos made friends within an hour of our arrival, and was getting into trouble with his new buddies, Joseph and Mackenly, within two hours…haha. Everyone was happy to have Peterson back at the Miriam Center, and they all immediately fell in love with Sandley (aka Ti Baby.) I had already created relationships with most of the staff, so I was greeted with open arms too which brought much comfort. Stephanie was pretty sick and in her room, but I was able to say hi and give her a quick hug any way.



I clearly remember giving Papito a tour of the Miriam Center that day…I remember seeing worry in his eyes. He looked at me and quickly said (in Creole,) “These children need so much and they need you too.” I responded with a very familiar Haitian saying, “Jezi konnan.” (Jesus knows) Papito simply nodded his head showing that he agreed with this statement. That is all I needed to hear at that moment. This was certainly a step of faith that included a lot of change. I knew at that moment that change does not come without challenge, and you do not overcome challenge without courage…SO, here we go!


“See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:19 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment